Southington History

History of the Southington Historical Center and Society

By Ken DiMauro, Past President   A small bronze plaque above the front door of the original Southington Public Library at 239 Main St. is dedicated to local entrepreneur Lucius V. Walkley, who reportedly donated half the cost of the building when it opened in 1902. Walkley, who was owner of Pultz & Walkley Co. […]

Many Modes of Transportation Served Milldale

By Ken DiMauro         Because of its centralized location in the state, Southington became a transportation hub; a place where there were many ways of moving products and people. The history of those different modes of transportation can particularly be seen in the Milldale and Plantsville sections of town, both which had several large manufacturing […]

Plantsville Pharmacy’s Longevity a Prescription for Success

By Ken DiMauro     For nearly 70 years, Plantsville Pharmacy, located at 1 W. Main St. in the Plantsville section of Southington, has possessed a relatively simple prescription for success. Although cousins James M. Potrepka and Chester A. Potrepka Jr., co-owners of the pharmacy, have introduced different products and services to store customers over […]

The Early Days of Southington

by Ken DiMauro. Samuel Woodruff is known as the “Father of Southington.” In 1698 he was given permission to travel here from Farmington and set up a residence and eventually a small farm. He was one of the first permanent white settlers in town. At the time, Southington was still part of Farmington, which was […]